Friday, October 25, 2013

What defines me

I remember being in a international relations theory class, I wish I remember what I was reading. At the time I considered myself Catholic, but in no means was it the most important thing in my life. I was at school and I was with my friends, and that was what was important. I don't think I went to church except for holidays. Not that I do alot now, but I don't know for a different reason. Back to the international relations class... I was reading an article that brought me to ask the question how do you define yourself? At the time I had no clue, so I felt I needed to figure that out. How do you define yourself? To get to the point, I figured out because of my childhood religion and how I was raised I defined myself by my Catholic faith. So why was I trying to escape it? I wasn't sure about it for a few years because I was upset with the school I graduated from, which doesn't make sense right now. But I figured out, I can't escape what I am and I made peace with it. That is what drew me further into political theory, Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas. This drew me further into my faith. I thank my teachers at Texas State for giving me the material that brought me to this place. Not usual to thank a University for this, but its professors were Catholic and put that material into their classes. They still did have a political slant as well. From there I was brought further into prayer and asked God to bring me someone, I happened to meet my husband the very next day. My faith has grown since then. I've had hiccups with the OCD, but I am certain that being a Catholic defines me and I want it to be the same way for my child and hopefully children.

No comments: