Sunday, September 02, 2007

Quest

Writing is not something I've done in quite awhile. At least I've been use to doing the short story version. Now I plan to actually start to write a full story. Won't say to much more about it till it actually makes it further out than just chapter one. What I started thinking of once I started to write was what are the basic thing needed in a story line. I wrote a paper on the process of the story. I want to see how much I remember from this...



1. Start off in the original world, or the place where the hero had come from. This is where the hero had been in their home town or a place that is where they have comfort.



2. I believe there is some upset that is the next step, some challenge is given and the hero has to either willingly or unwillingly jump into the quest. I don't remember exactly what this step was called. What i do remember is that at this point in Star Wars it was when Luke was given the option of going on the quest to save the princess. In that sense he was the unwilling hero. He went because they had killed his family and he had nothing to go back to.



3. The journey of the hero I believe is the next step of the story.

For the life of me I don't remember how exactly it goes from here. I believe that there is a second conflict that happens that the hero must go through that leads to the final on with the enevitable resolution. The resolution must be done on his own without the help of friends or others to help. For instance, when Luke Skywalker destroyed the death star.

I'm going to try and go through and do a full outline. I don't think I'll trust my writing genius to guide me where my muse takes me. I think I'll be a little more realistic than that. I will let you know more as I have progress. Of course I have the assistance of my lovely husband.

Let's hope it works out! I have to say being a writer would definitely suit me better than recruiting. If nothing else comes out of it.... At least this can be entertainment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From my memory, I think you have in down fairly well. If I may be so bold, may I suggest that somewhere at the beginning of the hero’s quest, the hero encounters someone wife—a Yoda—who in some way prepares, directs, or forewarns the hero. And, of course, be fore the quest can end, the hero must return home, somehow changed.

And, El, if you really get bogged down, you may want to read (or re-read) Joseph Campbell’s wonderful book, “The Hero’s Journey.”

Blessings and good writing!