Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Moving as a pack rat

When I finally get unpacked I will be extremely happy. Part of me wonders when the hell that could possibly happen at this point. We moved as I wrote in my last post. The movers were assholes and were not very good with my stuff. For instance, the grand piano... My most precious possession, is unplayable. I'm not sure when we will be able to get someone out here to make it playable again. It is painful seeing it like that. They put the thing together without me being in the room. So I was extremely pissed. I was getting ready for a job interview and my husband was the first one to notice there was something wrong with the keys. They won't go down. So it makes it difficult to play it. I yelled at the movers as I left to not touch another damned thing as I walked out the door, and that is what they did. The furniture is together, but everything else is in boxes.

This is not my first time to move. I've understood how painful it is for me to move from my previous moves within Texas: Terrill to Paris, moves within Paris, Paris to Amarillo, moves within Amarillo, Amarillo to San Marcos, San Marcos to Brenham, Brenham back to San Marcos, San Marcos to San Antonio and now finally down here to the treasure coast of Florida... I think that is what it is called. Most of those moves are from the point I started college to this point, and I think some of my boxes have not been unpacked since highschool. That is the main reason I say "painful" in describing moving, I am a pack rat. I keep everything, and I think I feel it more in this move than any other. I finally have decided, why do I need a full collection of RL Stine Fear Street books from when I was in elementary school? That is just one example. Then there are the ones that I keep questioning "what the hell do I do with them", but I can't get myself to thow them away. I have college newspapers from when I was an editor. I have trophies from playing soccer in elementary school (I threw them away because they were destroyed anyway). I start to argue with myself about these possessions. What if I want them in the future for some reason? Am I hurting myself by throwing them away? Yes, I start the process of putting them in give away boxes, and then question if they will ever leave my living room floor.... I get attached to possessions too much. It is a problem.

So we will see how long the place will remain in this state. Our main stuff is unpacked right now. I just wonder if there is room for all my junk. I may need Art's assistance in throwing things away. Yes, it can be painful to go through this process. Well, now I must get ready for work. I will write later.

1 comment:

Jana said...

I am so sorry to hear your movers were so bad. Make sure you file all your paperwork on the move in a timely manner so the military can bill the movers for the costs of repairs. You will probably have to get a few estimates but once you submit them the military should pay your claim pretty quickly. You can also make a recommendation that those movers be taken off the military list so others do not go through the same pain.