Monday, November 21, 2005

Working and waiting on an annulment

I love the holidays! I don't really wish to be too busy through them. This means that I am actually getting through work that I should have done months ago. That is the reason for the lack of posts. I have commented on blogs here and there, but I was told I don't get my present if I don't finish my work. Is that all it takes, no. I think its actually the thyroid medication I started taking helps with my focus. My mind has been working better recently.

No update on wedding plans. I have to wait on an annulment between my fiance and his exwife. It is good that I am rather patient. I will wait on having my Catholic wedding. If the Catholic annulment is new to you, I can explain. Yes, my fiance is legally divorced. I have been asked that several times. He has been divorced for awhile as far as I know. This still does not allow you to get married in the Catholic church. Once you are married, it is till death do you part. It doesn't matter if the state sees you as divorced or not. If a person wishes to marry again through the church they have to get the church to approve that thier previous marriage was not acceptable as a true marriage by the church. This is a better definition:
A declaration of nullity states that, according to Church law, a given marriage was not valid (and therefore not binding) at the time a couple spoke their marriage vows. A person asks this Office to look at a previous marriage which has ended in divorce, and, if possible, to issue a declaration that this previous marriage no longer binds either party to the union. In no way should this process be thought of as a type of "Catholic Divorce." A declaration of nullity states that a marriage was invalid from the beginning. A civil divorce, on the other hand, asserts that a marriage, valid or not, is dissolved. The Catholic Church does not grant divorces.
Neither is an annulment a statement that a marriage never existed civilly. Rather, it is a determination that certain conditions were present at the time the marriage was entered that made it an invalid union according to Catholic Church teaching. The civil effects and recognition of that marriage remain intact and unchanged.
Moreover, an annulment is not a statement that the marriage was entered into in bad faith by either of the parties. It is not a statement of who caused the marriage to fail or who was most guilty for its failure. Those are certainly important questions for a person to ask. But they are not the questions a Tribunal must answer.
The annulment process, in its most simple form, involves any person coming to the Church and asking to be heard. Information is gathered by us and in the end, we answer that person’s request: the marriage was invalid or valid according to the laws of the Church.

I'm not sure of how long this is going to take. I hear that it is usually about a year. I think it depends on the amount of witnesses you have and the length of the marriage. Art's marriage was only for a few years, and I hope it won't take too long. One of the statements they make on the tribunal page that I linked to above is that it is not a good idea to set a wedding date until the declaration of nullity is given. Till then there is the possibility they could say that the marriage was valid. So there is no reason to even start with plans. I'm not too worried about it being declared nullified. I just pray that it doesn't take a year to happen. I don't mind waiting, but that may drive the rest of my family crazy that are waiting to here about my plans.

I need to get back to work. Will let you know if there are any new developments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Work does help keep one’s mind from worrying about stuff we have no control over—like that annulment. I’m glad you are able to focus on the work rather than those issues that are beyond us. I wish I could do that more often than I have been the past several months!