Thursday, April 27, 2006

How is Miami?

I have to admit I have not had the best image of Miami. When Arthur and I decided to move here I was not jumping up and down and screaming in joy. On the contrary, I told my then future husband, "Please, just tell me something positive about the place". All I asked was to feel better about the place I was going to move to. I'll tell you what I have learned of Miami from those native to the city. First of all, the place is over run with Cubans and other latin immigrants. Now this did not mean much to me when I first heard this. I have one friend that is half Cuban and from DC. All I know is that he spends every summer in Miami and when I visited his home his mom was certain to teach me the evils of Castro. She thinks it is an important thing that all people should know. Since then I have been told everything else about this group, and the most important thing is that there is great amount of them that don't bother to learn english. I won't bother to go into the other stereotypes of this group in Miami. Though they involve illegal activities and too much government support. Since I have been here I have noticed that there are many different immigrants here that don't speak english, but I've honestly even now do not have much experience within this city. There is also the matter of driving within Miami. It has been said, I don't remember by who, that in Miami that everyone drives according to thier country of orgin. My dear husband has also had several stories to back this up. I heard so many stories on this that for my first job interview yesterday, I felt worse about having to drive by myself for the first time than the actual interview. Though after it was done I found it to be about as bad as driving in any other city. The truth is I am still very unsure of what to think of my new home. The people who are from here don't exactly paint the best picture of place, and with the hurricane I went through the last time I am still very unsure. What I am hoping is that the city is not as bad as everyone says, like the driving within the city. Well, we will see how it is driving for the second time. I'll do that for my second job interview...

Next topic is on finding a job within this city. Hopfully it will be done tommarow, but there are warnings that everyone should here. Consider it a continuation of my unemployed blogger ideas:) Till then!

1 comment:

el said...

You from Miami too?