Sunday, September 04, 2005

Me in Catholic School and Bolormaa

Have you ever looked yourself up online? Well, I have... Yes, I am bored. Anyway, I looked up my name to find pictures of me in high school(through the Amarillo Globe News). I went to a small Catholic school in Amarillo, Texas. So the only picture I can find of myself online (other than the ones on blogs) are of me in my uniform. Actually mostly you can see my letter jacket...



Since I mentioned letter jacket (and from the other pictures up of me) I'm sure you can guess which one I am. Here's another, though I am really barely in this one...



This was the class I graduated with. I think the class was made of about twelve to fifteen people. Most of them being Brazilian and Mexican. Oh yes, and one Mongolian. She is cut out of both pictures. The last picture shows most of the Americans in the class. You see three white girls? Yeah, there were only two other Americans in the class. All of the other students were exchange students or they were the two Mexicans who came to stay with thier rich uncle in Amarillo. Does that not seem rediculous? It did to me. The school brought in foriegners to increase the funding, I think.

The reason I mention the Mongolian is because I had the pleasure of living with her for a semester. Her name was Bolormaa. I think I never really pronounced it right. We shared a room and she was around me all the time for a semester. I had fun with her at times. She cooked for my family once. I had the pleasure of learning about Ghengis Khan... They all think very highly of him still. I think he's on thier money. She tried to make it through school while getting a hold of the english language. I really do hope she figured it out eventually. I know she didn't in my house. My mom was always helping her with her work and also had the pleasure of paying for almost everything. From what I gathered, Mongolian money is not worth much in comparison to U.S. money. Two of her uncles saved a bunch of money to come to America and they wound up in Chicago with all thier money only transfering to $1,000. Bolormaa was wanting my family to help. Well, my parents had already felt they helped enough. It was like she was trying to use us to get her family over. I had enough of her as well simply because of cultural differences. I like to have space... She was in my room, she read my diary, she was in my car, she would sit right next to me at lunch and then she would be there to complain about me not serving my parents enough when I got home. I moved to a couch in the sunroom st the end of the semester and she moved out by December.

It was an interesting experience. My parents felt that it would be a good idea to take in an exchange student to open me up to different cultures. I have learned that either that Mongolian was a bit off or I should stay out of Mongolia. Not like there is reason for me to go there. They have one city, Ulanbatar. Other than that I know the peace corps goes there. I'm not planning on joining that anytime soon.

Well, I didn't mean to go on about Bolormaa. I haven't really thought about her in awhile. As I said before, I do hope she is doing well. I haven't heard anything about her since she left the house. I haven't heard much about anyone since I left that school. My friend Viv keeps me posted on what goes on there every once and awhile. I just know my high school is no more. I was the last graduating class I believe. No high school reunion. Oh well, it is still neat to look back.

2 comments:

nixonreed said...

Very interesting. You really haven't changed all that much. Good looking then good looking now.

Jay said...

That is so strange!