Thursday, April 14, 2011

Living in NOVA

I had never heard of the term "NOVA" till I moved to Northern Virginia. It is one of the many things that I am starting to learn of my new home. I think I've been here for about a month now, and I can say I have a much more positive outlook on the DC metro area than I did of Miami when I moved there. First of all when I came here I saw snow. I haven't seen snow in so long... It had been when I worked for united back in 2006 right before we were married. In comparison to Texas or anywhere in South Florida, the place is gorgeous. There are hills with little two lane historic roads and trees all around. It can be fun if you have the right car. I was already happy of the thought of moving here because of all the different site seeing opportunities and everything I love as being a history buff. But it is hard to be a tourist in the place you live. Life tends to get in the way.

So here is the reality of it all. The traffic sucks! It doesn't matter where you go, you are in traffic. And from reading or hearing from the different reasons for it, it plainly seems to be because different little cities, different states... All cannot agree on the building of roads. Also, they do stupid things like make 66 all carpool during high traffic times to force everyone else onto surface streets! I could go on and on about the traffic. You know what though, it isn't as bad as Miami. Not because the traffic is less... Oh no, traffic is worse here than in Miami from what I see. It is because at least they are not trying to kill you. I don't fear for my life driving here like I do in South Florida. I just feel incredible anger towards the drivers that seem to be in no hurry of getting anywhere that back up traffic for no apparent reason. Its like they are from Texas or something:)

What else, there is still quite an illegal immigrant problem here as well. It kinda worries me and makes me wonder how the rest of the country is like. I mean, in Miami you see the ultimate outcome of that in the end. No one speaks English there and drive out those who are not of Hispanic culture and don't speak Spanish. The final outcome is a Banana Republic, yeah. It still isn't quite as bad as South Florida. It just makes me wonder about the world my daughter will be living in.

But all in all, what I have here that I didn't have in South Florida is a young population. Everyone is around my age and has babies. I love the thought of there being alot of others our daughter's age around. In Florida, she was a rarity and that is not good for a child. I heard of my husband's childhood and the way he was treated by an older population. There is a disdain for children. Here they are everywhere. She loves seeing other babies too. That is one reason I really liked moving here and why I am still optimistic.

I still have so much to learn of there area, so hopefully I can post a different perspective in a few months; if I remember. Till then....

No comments: